Reverse vending machine monitoring
A routine task with big potential
In order to remain competitive, retailers need to improve their customers’ overall shopping experience. Studies show that 49% of customers consider waiting Iines in front of reverse vending machines to be one of the most irritating impediments to a satisfying shopping experience
(EHI retail institute).
Retailers face high reverse vending machine downtimes but lack transparency about the specific causes. This creates a lot of maintenance work for store personnel.
Waiting for service staff to maintain or empty the reverse vending machine is a time-consuming inconvenience for customers.
Time-intensive manual tasks leave almost no time for customer service, at a time when greater customer service is becoming more and more important for brick-and-mortar retailers.
Individual monitoring solutions contribute to complex reporting views with high maintenance and monitoring efforts for store personnel.
Reverse vending machine monitoring: Benefits for retail companies
Proactive intervention by store personnel: Thanks to an automatic notification when a predefined status is reached, store personnel can intervene precisely when needed. This reduces waiting times and ensures that customers are not irritated.
More precise interaction: Personnel receive an error-specific message which tells them exactly what needs maintenance.
Operational efficiency: The solution automatically monitors the filling status of reverse vending machines. This reduces manual routine tasks and frees up time for store personnel.
Reduced third-party maintenance: In the case of a malfunction, remote monitoring can reduce on-site support and maintenance work. Technicians can be automatically alerted to resolve the problem, having received the information from the machine in advance regarding which component is defective and needs to be replaced.
Higher customer service: Automated monitoring of reverse vending machines reduces routine tasks and frees up the time of store personnel, resulting in a higher level of service.
Efficient monitoring in one dashboard: The data generated by reverse vending machines is consolidated within one reporting view. This eliminates administrative efforts by store personnel.
Higher efficiency for store personnel: Handling the monitoring via a central IoT platform is much more efficient than individual solutions from OEMs.
Cost savings: Using a central IoT platform for monitoring is less costly than individual monitoring and reporting solutions provided by OEMs.
Reverse vending machine monitoring: Use case overview
- Monitoring of device error codes and status information such as filling status.
- The solution sends error-specific information to the store personnel, about which part exactly is causing the fault and what has to be done.
- Employees receive notifications immediately, permitting real-time responses.
- Reporting views about number and types of errors are consolidated in one dashboard.
- The data captured from the reverse vending machines is processed within one solution with all other store devices.
- Local processing of data helps avoid latency.
- Store personnel configure events for each reverse vending machine that determine when an automatic notification should be sent.